December 19, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
For many families, it is easy to skip breakfast accidentally or purposefully to save time. But what you may not know is that eating breakfast is important for children to start their day and to thrive during the school day. Here are a several reasons that serving breakfast will give your son or daughter a jump-start in the morning:
- ENHANCED CONCENTRATION: previous research shows that children who eat breakfast experience improved brain function, allowing more information to be stored and retrieved.
- ACADEMIC SUCCESS: it is unclear why a healthy meal in the morning can lead to getting good grades, but researchers believe that it may have to do with being supplied with nutritious vitamins and minerals to enhance brainpower.
- ENERGY BOOST: breakfast is the perfect time to recharge with whole-grain carbohydrates (like oats & some cereals & bread, and fruit) and protein. Try whole-grain toast and peanut butter, yogurt & fruit, or whole-grain cereal & milk.
- HEALTHY WEIGHT: many people may believe that skipping breakfast is a good way to cut calories, when in fact people who eat breakfast tend to be at a healthy weight. Skipping breakfast is associated with eating unhealthily for the rest of the day.
- GREAT TASTE: who doesn’t enjoy eating something they love if it’s good for them?!
Image source: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipes/healthy/