October 31, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
Often times you might choose not to buy produce because either it is expensive, or it will go bad before you get a chance to use it all—and would therefore be a waste. There is a solution! Frozen fruits and vegetables are a perfect (and maybe a better) alternative, and here’s why:
1. Frozen fruits and veggies can be used in a variety of different ways
- Frozen fruits can be used in smoothies, or thawed and put into oatmeal, cereal or yogurt.
- Frozen veggies can easily be steamed as a side dish, used in a stir fry, or incorporated into a pasta or rice entrée
2. They are easy to use!
- The extensive preparation that comes with purchasing fresh produce is done away with when you utilize frozen veggies in meals! No washing, cutting, and cleaning up after!
3. No additives are used
- Check the ingredients list to make sure the fruit or veggie is the only thing listed, it should be pretty easy to find items with no additional ingredients
4. Verrrry nutritious!
- Freezing does not drastically reduce the nutrient content of fruits & veggies, in fact it maintains it for longer
- Studies show that frozen produce is more nutritious than fresh after being stored for a couple days
5. Flash freezing maximizes nutrients of produce
- Once a fruit or vegetable is picked, it begins losing its nutrients
- When freezing fruits and veggies, they are picked when they are ripe and then frozen very shortly afterwards minimizing any nutrients that could have been lost