September 10, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
As the school year gets into full swing, your child will be exposed to a lot more germs from their classmates and peers. This makes it easier for them to become sick and miss out on school, activities, and fun with their friends. Vitamins and Minerals play a huge role in fighting off and preventing sickness. This means that if you and your child consume the right foods, you could build up your immune systems to better prepare for any infections that come your way. Below is a list of vitamins and minerals that are key players in immunity and their food sources:
- Vitamin C: this hard worker is found in a large variety of fruits, especially citrus. Oranges, clementines, and orange juice are packed with this vitamin. Guava, bell peppers, dark leafy greens, strawberries, kiwi, broccoli, and fresh herbs are also good vitamin C-rich foods to try.
- Vitamin E: nuts and seeds are the foods that contain the most vitamin E. Walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds, pistachios, and pine nuts are all delicious options!
- Carotenoids: look for foods that are orange in color in order to get your healthy dose of carotenoids. Sweet potatoes, carrots, cantaloupe, and apricots will definitely help fight off sickness.
- Zinc: zinc is found in seafood, spinach, pumpkin and squash seeds, nuts, cocoa and chocolate, pork, chicken, beans, and mushrooms. There are definitely a lot of options to choose from!
- Selenium: seafood lovers definitely get their fill of selenium, as it is found in fish such as halibut, tuna, cod, shrimp, scallops, and salmon.