September 4, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, as it gives you the energy to do the things you love all day long. A popular and easy choice for Americans is cereal and milk. Done right, this meal is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein to keep you going. However, there are a lot of brands loaded with sneaky sugars and hefty calories that can sabotage your diet before you even make it to school or work! Follow these tips on choosing a healthy breakfast cereal so you can start your morning off right and set the tone for healthy eating throughout the rest of your day!
- Aim for whole grains: having cereal for breakfast is an easy way to add whole grains to your diet. Look on the front of the box to see whether a cereal is whole or not.
- Low Sugar: there is no need to get all sugared up first thing in the morning–this could lead to a crash that leaves you tired before you even start your day! Try and aim for a cereal that has less than 10 grams of sugar per serving just to be safe–the less, the better!
- Fiber: try and pick a cereal that contains at least 5 grams of fiber. This will help you feel fuller and more satisfied for longer. This means that your stomach won’t be growling long before it’s time for lunch. Eating cereal in the morning is a great way to meet the Recommended dose of 25-30 grams of fiber a day!
- Protein: cereal that contains at least 5 grams of protein per serving is also a great way to keep your stomach full before lunch time. Not to mention, it helps you build muscle in the long run!
If you can’t find a cereal that fits both your tastes and these recommendations, why not try adding a boost to your morning meal? Topping a bowl of cereal with flaxseeds or chia seeds instantly adds protein and fiber for a relatively small amount of calories. Fresh fruit is also a great topper that supplies vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber.
If the search for the perfect cereal still has you confused, Webmd.com compiled a list of both healthy and delicious cereals to choose from:
- Post Grape-Nuts Trail Mix Crunch
- Fiber One Bran Cereal
- Fiber One Honey Clusters
- Quaker Oatmeal Squares
- Shredded wheat
- Frosted Mini Wheats
- Raisin Bran
- Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Toasted Oat Cereal