July 16, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
Frozen yogurt is becoming a very popular healthy alternative to ice cream. Opting for frozen yogurt saves you a significant amount of calories, sugar, and fat without sacrificing protein and calcium. Self-serve frozen yogurt shops are making it easy to customize this dessert with a wide variety of toppings. However, if you’re not careful, this naturally healthy treat can turn into an over-sized calorie bomb loaded with sugary and fatty toppings. Instead of loading up on the cookie dough pieces, hot fudge, chocolate chips, and brownies pieces, follow these tips in order to enjoy frozen yogurt in a healthy and delicious way:
- Portion control is important: a lot of frozen yogurt places are now self-serve, making it easy to give yourself too much, setting yourself back before you even load up on the toppings. Try to stick to a modest amount, such as 1/2 a cup. What does half a cup look like? About the size of a large baseball.
- Fresh fruit: fruit is a naturally sweet addition that adds vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Nuts: nuts have protein, fiber, and healthy fats to fill you up. Be careful though–nuts are calorie dense, so don’t take too many!
- Shredded coconut: coconut is a great way to add flavor without adding many calories.
- Low-fat granola: adds a nice crunch similar to a cookie!
- Dark chocolate chips: dark chocolate contains healthy antioxidants and a little extra sweetness. A small amount goes a long way!
- Sprinkles: sprinkles have less calories than other sugary toppings, and are a fun way to add color to your dessert.