June 27, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
Too busy to organize family dinners? Here are some tips to get the family together even during hectic weeks:
- Keep a calendar, and refer to it to plan meals around activities. Keep your family in the loop so they know what to be ready for. Try asking everyone for their favorite meal—it helps you get some ideas, and each member of your family has their favorite during the week.
- Include everyone in meal preparation. Even young children can help wash the veggies or set the table.
- Put away cell phones, ipods, or other electronics so your family can be present to talk to one another. Try playing a game:
- Story night—one person starts a story saying 2-3 sentences, and the next person continues the story for another 2-3 sentences, and so on. Use your imagination!
- Joke night—each person has a turn to tell their favorite jokes
- Opera night or accent night—choose an accent and only speak in that accent the whole dinner (same concept for opera night)
- If you have older children, bring an actual game to the table. Try playing Catch Phrase during dessert.
Have fun with it, and share some laughs!
Consider this recipe to get you started: