April 4, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
Did you know there are 65 grams of sugar in a regular 20 ounce bottle of soda? That’s the equivalent of 22 packets of sugar! According to the USDA, 16% of calories in the typical American’s diet come from refined sugars and half of those calories come from beverages with added sugar. The problem with this statistic is that soda and other sweetened beverages are significant factors in the increased rate of childhood obesity, which can lead to type 2 diabetes, asthma, sleep apnea and high blood pressure.
Let’s break it down even more…. 10 reasons to stop drinking soda!
1. Managing weight: Regular consumption of soft drinks makes you gain weight. Drinking just one 12 oz. Pepsi a day for a year will add 18 pounds to your body weight when compared to water consumption.
2. You’ll lose weight by quitting diet drinks too: When you consume non-caloric sweeteners, your body gets confused. It releases insulin to absorb the expected sugars in the blood stream, but those sugars never arrive. The result is increased fat cell production.
3. Artificial sweeteners are dangerous: True, the FDA has approved them all, but enough studies have suggested that some artificial sweeteners may cause cancer. Until the scientists sort this out, why take the risk?
4. Diabetes: Studies have shown a link between soft drink consumption and type 2 diabetes. The high amount of sugar in soft drinks has been shown to increase your chance of getting diabetes. Diet drinks may increase the chances even more than regular drinks.
5. Save your teeth: The only thing worse than gulping down soda, iced tea, or a sports drink is to sip it slowly. This coats your teeth with sugar, phosphoric acid, malic acid and/or citric acid. These compounds directly damage tooth enamel. Ask your dentist.
6. Save money: A family of 4 can save $500 (FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS) a year by switching to (filtered) tap water.
7. Tampers with your taste buds: Soft drinks diminish the taste of food. If you’re eating a decently prepared meal at home or at a good sit down restaurant, you will not want to spoil the taste with sugary water.
8. Refined sugars: A single can of cola has 10 teaspoons of sugar. If you drink just one Dr. Pepper a day for a year, you’ll have consumed 32 pounds of sugar! Picture that. Take a 32 pound sack of sugar and strap it to your waist to walk around with for a day…
9. Controversial artificial colors: Yellow #5 (Tartrazine), present in Mountain Dew, for example, has been linked to hyperactivity in children.
10. The ecology: Billions of empty plastic bottles and cans are contaminating the earth. Recycling is a joke, barely touching the tip of the iceberg, even if Coca Cola is trying to convince you otherwise.