March 13, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
- REPAIR: During sleep your body produces extra protein molecules that strengthen your immune system.
- HEART HEALTH: Sleep can help keep blood pressure and cholesterol levels under control
- STRESS: Sleep helps you relax and recover from a long day.
- MEMORY and FOCUS: If you are sleep deprived it is harder to concentrate and get out of that foggy feeling. Long term sleep depravation can lead to memory problems.
- OBESITY: Children who get enough sleep are less likely to be obese.
- HOW MUCH? Newborn-twelve months need 14-16 hours, one to three years needs 12-14 hours, three to six years need 10-12 hours, seven to twelve need 10-11 hours, and twelve to eighteen years need 8-9 hours.
TIPS: turn off all screens 30 minutes before bed, try a warm bath with soothing body wash or a warm glass of milk.