February 21, 2013 by thehealthyheartcenter
Like adults, children need exercise too. Hours upon hours could pass by for a child glued to the television without ever moving. As kids spend more time in front of the TV, they spend less time running and playing. How can this be fixed? Parents can set a good example by being active themselves. Exercising together can not only be fun for the family, but it can also help promote healthy lifestyles.
Children need at least an hour of some physical activity every day. Why?
Exercise helps children to…
- Feel less stressed
- Feel better about themselves
- Feel more alert and ready to learn in school
- Keep a healthy weight
- Build and keep healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Sleep better at night
Now put it into action. Here are some steps to help your family plan for exercise:
- Talk as a family about why it is important for creating some time to be active as a family.
- Encourage everyone, including the children, to give their suggestions and make a list of activities that everyone can do.
- For fun, have the kids create a “Being Active Is Fun” Calendar to remind everyone of activities on certain days.
- Activities can be simple like a family walk or bike ride.
- Start with 15-20 minutes and work your way up to an hour.
- Try to plan something special once a month or every other month, like a trip to the zoo.