November 15, 2012 by thehealthyheartcenter
- Monkey see monkey do– parents have a huge influence over their children. If the parent has a positive body image ideally the child will too.
- Get physical– Find an activity your child enjoys and does well. It could be basketball, skateboarding, hip-hop, or cross-country. If the child feels fit and strong they will be confident in their body.
- Squash the bullies– If you think your child is being bullied talk with the school administration to figure out how this can be stopped.
- Nobody’s perfect– Teach your children that the runway models and football stars are not the ideal body type and that many pictures may have been retouched to improve their bodies. Everyone is unique and children need to understand that.
- Weight is just a number– Stop focusing on the scale. Teach your children how to focus on their health. Parents should emphasize fun physical activity and yummy nutritious foods instead of counting calories and monitoring weight.