November 8, 2012 by thehealthyheartcenter
Breakfast tends to be the most skipped meal of the day, meaning that for most of us, we are going as long as 15 hours or more without food. This is not only depriving our bodies, but also our brains, which can have a true impact on children’s learning. Kids who consume a breakfast in the morning are more able to focus and concentrate better in the classroom, and perform better on testing.
If you find getting your child to consume a breakfast in the morning is difficult, there are methods to try:
- Cut late night eating: Many kids aren’t hungry for breakfast because they snack at night. Try telling your kids the kitchen is closed after dinner and you’ll be surprised how much hungrier they are in the morning.
- Prep the night before: Getting breakfast on the table is tricky for most busy families. Setting the breakfast table at night can make your morning a little smoother. Give your children choices from a few boxes of whole-grain cereal for kids to pick so all they’ll have to do in the morning is add milk.
- Start small: If your family doesn’t usually eat anything in the morning, it may take a while to develop the habit. Starting with a mini meal of yogurt topped with low-fat granola or a small slice of whole-wheat toast can make the transition easier.
- Set the alarm 10 minutes earlier: Hectic mornings can make it difficult for kids (and parents) to find time for breakfast. Waking up just a few minutes earlier provides time to squeeze in a quick morning meal.
- Dress first, eat second: Children are more likely to feel hungry once they’ve had a chance to wake up.
- Make sure you’re well stocked: No time to cook? No problem. Quick-fix foods like whole-grain cereal, string cheese, berries, yogurt, and whole-wheat toast, mini bagels and English muffins make grabbing breakfast easy.
- Be a good role model: Children are extremely influenced by their parent’s behavior. Make it a habit to sit down and eat breakfast with your kids every morning.
Breakfast is known as the most important meal of the day for a reason.. don’t forget to fuel!